Video Store Memories Vol. 2


One of my fondest memories about being of the video store generation, was the art and stickers of the VHS tapes. Just tapes in general are such a wonderful way to consume media, these black slabs have a heft to them that a DVD or Steelbook doesn't capture, and don't get me started on streaming...

My kids often ask me to do art projects with them, merely supplying the materials for their ideas is not enough. I thought it might be fun to make a scaled down VHS tape. It's not made to any specific scale or based off any tape in particular, just what I felt like I could competently make, and felt cool in my hand. 


Enter my hyperfocus. A rectangular chunk of super Sculpey would not be sufficient, I had to carve all the lines, get the screw holes, sculpt in the tape on the reels etc. The kids had long since finished their sculptures while I toiled away on this homage to an analog relic. 


I think it's a pretty faithful representation, albeit sort of wonky, almost breathing ala Videodrome. Obviously had to go with the green label, because my brother and I spent many many hours at the Horror rack in our local haunt. It was a tall cylindrical shelf, that rotated. The covers were re-printed onto postcards and stuck into clear vinyl sleeves. When you finally picked your choice for the weekend, you took this plastic token with your genre sticker on it, and the tape number written onto that. It was a cool system I don't think I saw anywhere else. Take it to the counter and watch the clerk retrieve it off the wall of clear clamshells filled with the wonderful black tapes. They took your 99 cents for the weekend rental, but if it was a good one you might pay the 2.99 to keep it for 7 days. (I still want my 99 cents back for Redneck Zombies) 


 Now tonight it a special night, it is a full moon! As you can tell by my other post today. 

I recommend you dust off a Charles Band Full Moon Features tape, or if you must stream I did enjoy Werewolf By Night. 

I personally will be watching Lon Chaney in The WOF MAN! Get your popcorn, turn down the lights and try to keep the wolves at the door! 

Comments

Popular Posts