Night of the Sentinels, Part I

How excited are you for X-Men 97? Seeing random toys pop up with the new but old branding, and the packaging is awesome. Theres Marvel Legends, GI Joe scale, and big 12” figures.
 I feel like the 3 3/4 guys are in an oddly oversized box and Storm only comes with the new jet? 

Actually I take that back, I always complain about vehicles and play-sets coming without a figure, so I like that. It should be mandatory that they come with a figure, like the Origins Castle Grayskull.



 What I had not seen and did not know existed was this Sentinel! 

I got a package in the mail from an old friend, actually two parcels and when I opened them to see this cartoon accurate Sentinel I was pretty excited! So were my kids, who wanted it opened ASAP and I didn’t think to take in package photos. The box was great though, I assure you. 

After a few days of a Super Hero Squad smackdown, I was able to sneak off and take some comparison photos 



I was immediately reminded of the Toy Biz Galactus. I actually thought Galactus would have the size advantage here, but they’re roughly the same height only because of the giant magenta hat. 




The real standard would be to test against Wolverine figures, past and present. I think it’s in the Canadian Constitution, that we have to have Wolverine as our favourite X-Men character. 



Earlier I said I didn’t like the 3 3/4 figures, but my kids do, and I grabbed this Logan months ago. I used the original Animated Series for scale, and technically in some scenes this guy works, because the scale seems to fluctuate.   





Next up, a Toy Biz Wolverine, which I would say scales perfectly, closer than any of the modern figures. It feels like they made this to work with them. 



I did my best to recreate this scene from memory, it’s not too far off! 


Now for what else was in the box, I think you can kind of guess by the photos so far, but my friend sent me some of the X-Men 97 Marvel Legends wave! I don’t collect ML at all, and haven’t opened these because I don’t have a place for them, I am out of shelf/wall space but for now they are going to be placed around randomly because I actually really like them. The height differences are great compared to other form factors. I am not converting to modern toys, still a vintage vagabond, roaming garage sales for retro gold, but I can see the appeal. Especially when done this way! The colours and designs are like they jumped right out of my old CRT. 



I will say the Legends do not scale with the Sentinel well at all though. Way too big, but there is that Haslab Sentinel that my local ML guy has so I’m sure I could ask him how they look together. He has another item waiting for me when I am ready to trade so we will see if I can make that work out for a photo. 


The Titan Hero Sentinel is a 10/10, of all the things I have seen for X-Men 97, this is the one that brought the most nostalgia, and that’s what it’s all about.

Are you patiently waiting for X-Men 97, and collecting along the way? Let me know down below!
 




Comments

Popular Posts