The Dumbest Thing.

 


Well folks, I have gone and done it. I have bought the dumbest action figure ever. And I frickin love it! 

Over the past few years I have passed on some really rad action figures on clearance or even full price, like the Grossery Gang Time Travelling Jack-O-Lantern dude for $4 at Toys R Us. Sticking to my vintage guns, you know? More recently I realized it doesn’t matter when it’s from, if it makes you happy and scratches a nostalgic itch, that’s ok. I got the kids some MOTU Origins, then I got myself some…but when I saw this ridiculous chunk of plastic at TRU one day I was instantly transported to childhood. Who is it? 

He’s called Grim, and came packed in with a Gravedigger monster truck, ala Monster Jam. I passed on the saw set a few times, I wasn’t going to buy a monster truck toy. I’m still not, by the way. I don’t care if it’s TMNT, Mario or even Battlecat, not gonna happen. I kept checking on the set bi-weekly, while looking to see if the flocked Panthor was ever going to go on sale.

 When I finally decided it was time to purchase him one fateful Sunday, Toys R Us was closed! Permanently! The TRU where we lived lapsed their lease and decided to not find a new location. It wasn’t meant to be. 

You know me though, always at that bag wall poking Happy Meal toys out of the way looking for 5 POA treasure. And I found it! Just not the vintage type. I found the Grim figure I wanted, not a monster truck in sight. Five points of articulation and vintage 90s colours! Perfect. He was also in a bag with a Ninja Turtle and Willie DeWitt from Bucky O’Hare so it was a triple win that day. 

The lesson learned is patience, the thrift gods have a funny way of putting something you gave up on right in front of you. Even if it’s the dumbest thing ever.  




Comments

Popular Posts