Goozooping


New Years resolutions are almost always a waste of time, so I rarely make one. This year I loosely decided I am not going to bother with ordering any new stuff, no pre-orders, don't feed the FOMO beast. I'd like to continue to be focused on vintage and nostalgia. 


I cancelled my pre-orders I had made, but I had already paid them down on the credit card, so I decided to treat myself to something that's been sitting in my eBay cart for almost 2 years. 


I figured after all that time they would be open to reasonable offers, so obviously I lowballed the living heck out of them, and got this relic from my days as a Saturday morning cartoon warrior. 


The seller accepted my offer of $15 and I became the proud owner of a new vehicle.  For half the sticker price! 


I did contemplate leaving it in the box, but I collect for nostalgic reasons and to share experiences I had with my kids while they are still interested! So I carefully cut the tape and let the fumes of latter days fill our nostrils. Comment below to berate me for opening a piece of history! 


There was little assembly required, you just put the removable engine on top of the face if you want to drive it that way. A sheet full of stickers later and we had the Goozooka ready to roll.


Creepy Crawlers was one of my favourite cartoons of the era, I used to wake up just before 6 am on Saturday, get a big bowl of cereal and watch Tales from the Cryptkeeper then Creepy Crawlers. I forget what followed CC, but I also really enjoyed Bump in the Night and C.O.W.BOYS of Moo Mesa a lot. 


 I had gotten the Creepy Crawlers oven the Christmas before the show premiered, and my brothers each had one of the figures, I had T3 (tick, trick, tick).  Unfortunately we had run out of goop to try out the weapon trays they came with, because it was expensive and when given the choice to buy more goop or an action figure I chose to get a Street Shark with rollerblades! Duh.  



Toymax (distributed by Canada Games in my home country) did a fantastic job on this vehicle. The plastic is sturdy and they didn't cheap out anywhere. It has a nice matte feel to it. No shade at other vehicles, but the simplicity of this one shows what can be done without too many bells and whistles. 


The one thing that wasn't great about this is the stickers don't stick super well, but that might be due to the almost 30 year old adhesive. 


Goop was a big part of the toy-line and show, and the good guys came with a vial of the stuff and it went into their back and you should see it through a window on the front. when it "ran out" you flip it over to recharge them. All the figures I come across online are missing said goop, but I have a brand new vial of it now! It's solidified though, but in a way that looks like its dripping which is kind of better anyways. 


You place the goop vial into the slot on the back of the Goozooka and press down to transform the vehicle. It works seamlessly, even if it took me reading the instructions to figure out how to do the action feature.


Collecting based entirely on nostalgia and "hey that looks cool" has definitely made me feel good about it all again, last year there was some moments of "I will never be able to afford that one piece, maybe I will sell it all." This is definitely a more care free way to collect for me. 

Stay tuned, I am working on a trade for some Creepy Crawlers figures sight unseen, but I have traded with the person before and got some amazing figures so it will be worth it! 

Comments

Popular Posts